CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
EXPLODED VIEWS AND CAD (COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN)
V. Ryan © 2010
|PDF FILE - CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE WORKSHEET|
|The pocket sized mini
sundial, is ideal for walkers and hikers. It includes a small magnetic
compass, useful when reading maps and can also be used to tell the time
(in sunny conditions).
It is lightweight and can be stored with ease. Unlike some modern walking / camping aids, it does not need batteries, relying only on the sun, when used for reading the time.
|ADVANTAGES OF EXPLODED DRAWINGS AND CAD|
‘exploded’ drawing has been produced using CAD (Computer Aided Design)
software. This has many advantages over traditional drawing, such as
drawing by hand.
1. The drawing can be rotated to any angle by using the mouse.
2. It is possible to zoom in and out of the drawing, magnifying areas so that they can be seen easily.
3. Mistakes can be corrected easily and alterations made, often with just a click of the mouse.
4. Colours and textures can be applied and changed at will.
5. Final drawings can be exported as photographic files (jpeg, png etc...) and used in word processed documents or PowerPoint presentations.
6. Multiple copies can be printed out, for clients / customers to view.
7. The final drawing/file can be emailed around the world in a matter of seconds.
8. Each component/part making up the drawing, can be examined individually, especially when the drawing has been ‘exploded’.
9. CAD software often allows animations of the product to be made. For example, all the parts can be ‘exploded’ and then returned to their normal assembled positions. This allows manufacturers and customers, to see all the components and their positions in the assembled product.
10. Unlike drawing by hand, a CAD drawing can be altered, improved, rotated or moved, without the need to redraw the entire product each time.
|1. What is ‘CAD’?|
|2. What is an exploded drawing?|
|3. List five advantages of Computer Aided Design over traditional ‘hand’ drawing of designs.|
|4. Study the two computer generated drawings of a sundial. What are the advantages of viewing an ‘exploded’ drawing compared to the ‘assembled’ drawing?|
|CLICK HERE FOR GRAPHICS INDEX PAGE|
|CLICK HERE FOR DESIGN PROCESS INDEX PAGE|