CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
THE EAMES CHAIR AND OTTOMAN - ERGONOMICS AND ANTHROPOMETRICS
V. Ryan © 2011
|PDF FILE - CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE WORKSHEET|
|The classic chair seen below, was designed by Charles and Ray Eames in the 1950s. It was first manufactured for sale in 1956 by the Herman Miller Furniture Company of Michigan, USA. The angle of recline cannot be adjusted, as it is set in one position permanently.|
Study the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman carefully.
1. Explain in detail, how and why you think anthropometric data / information was collected and considered during the research and design of the chair.
2. Explain how you think the anthropometric data / information was then applied ergonomically to the chair.
You may wish to read the reference sheet (below the diagrams), which is guide as to how to answer this question.
What is ANTHROPOMETRICS ?
The study of the human body and its movement.
The study of the human body and its movement, often involving research into measurements relating to people. It also involves collecting statistics or measurements relevant to the human body, called Anthropometric Data.
What is ERGONOMICS ?
The study of people and their relationship with the environment around them.
Measurements, also known as ‘anthropometric data’, are collected and applied to designs / products, to make them more comfortable to use. The application of measurements to products, in order to improve their human use, is called Ergonomics.
|HELP IN ANSWERING THE PRINTABLE WORKSHEET|
THE EAMES CHAIR AND OTTOMAN - ERGONOMICS AND
|Remember, anthropometrics is concerned with collecting measurements of people. It also involves studying the way the body moves. This will be useful when working out the ergonomics of the chair and the way people sit and relax in chairs.|
1. BRIEFLY EXPLAIN ‘WHAT IS ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA / INFORMATION?’
2. WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO COLLECT ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA / INFORMATION?
3. WHAT MEASUREMENTS NEED COLLECTING?
4. HOW MANY PEOPLE NEED TO BE INCLUDED IN RESEARCH?
5. WHAT WILL BE THE AGE GROUP FROM WHICH PEOPLE ARE SELECTED
FOR RESEARCH ?
6. REFER TO ACCIDENTS / PROBLEMS WITH CHAIRS, RELATING TO A NEGLECT TO
RESEARCH MEASUREMENTS AND SIZES (ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA).
|Remember, ergonomics is concerned with taking the anthropometric data / information and applying it to the chair design.|
1. BRIEFLY EXPLAIN ‘WHAT IS ERGONOMICS?’
2. WHY WAS IT NECESSARY TO APPLY ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA TO THE ERGONOMIC
DESIGN OF THE CHAIR?
3. GIVE EXAMPLES OF HOW ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA WAS CONVERTED TO USEFUL
ERGONOMICS FOR THE CHAIR e.g. THE ANGLE OF THE INCLINE OF THE
BACK OF THE CHAIR.
4. EXPLAIN HOW SEATING COMFORT IS RELATED TO THE ANTHROPOMETRIC DATA.
5. EXPLAIN HOW THE MOVEMENT OF THE BODY, WHEN SITTING DOWN
AND STANDING UP FROM THE CHAIR, HELPED DETERMINE ITS DESIGN.
6. EXPLAIN WHY THERE ARE NO SHARP EDGES AND OTHER FEATURES
RELATED TO ERGONOMICS AND SAFETY.
|CLICK HERE FOR PRODUCT DESIGN INDEX PAGE|