1. Design and
pupils to consider design problems (usually the problems other people
2. Pupils develop a range of practical
skills associated with modern industry.
3. Pupils develop an understanding of
drawing as a method of communication.
4. Working as a team to solve design
problems and to manufacture is not only key to success in Design and
Technology but also in industry, business and commerce.
5. Pupils develop an understanding of
aesthetics and its role in the design of everyday items and architecture.
6. Pupils learn about functionality in
7. Pupils develop practical skills
that aid them in everyday life.
8. Pupils learn to consider people
with individual needs.
9. Research introduces pupils to the
technology of other cultures from an historical and modern perspective.
10. Ecology and the environment are
serious considerations to any design and technology student.
11. Pupils learn the importance of
economics when costing projects.
12. Consideration is given to the role
of designers in history and the modern world.
13. The design process is central to
project work as a method of problem solving.
14. Pupils develop communication
skills through designing and group work.
15. Design and Technology provides a
constructive channel for a child’s creative needs.
16. Design and Technology directly
supports manufacturing industry by providing this sector of the economy
with capable technologists.
17. Design and Technology provides a
framework for learning and formulating ideas.