A good Head of Department should consider the
following points when writing a development plan.
1. The skills / specialisms of the Technology staff.
2. The departmental capitation.
3. Alternative sources of funding.
4. The enthusiasm of staff.
5. Full consultation with all departmental staff.
6. Existing departmental resources (equipment and facilities)
7. Future departmental resource requirements.
8. Training implications and professional development.
9. The school and local authority development plans.
10. New Initiatives such as the Tomlinson Report.
11. Departmental weaknesses.
12. Departmental strengths.
13. OFSTED reports, especially areas of improvement.
14. The likelihood that targets can be met within the timescale of
three / five years.
15. Projected examination results and SAT Levels.
16. Evaluation and monitoring of each aspect of the development
17. Support for and links with other schools (both primary and
18. Industrial and business links.
19. Introduction of new teaching technologies - whiteboards and
20. Introduction of classroom / workshop technologies such as CNC
and PIC technology etc…...