Litter is dropped around the school on a daily basis. So much collects
on the school yard, that site staff spend much of their time putting it
in bin liners.
You are to design a mechanical device, that automatically seeks out and
It must be small enough to pass down corridors and yet powerful enough
to keep going all day.
It must collect and store the litter.
It should be environmentally friendly – for example, it could be solar
powered, hydrogen powered or wind powered etc…..
It must be able to run on any terrain such as mud, tarmac and grass (it
could be four wheel drive or have long legs or tracks like a tank).
1. Research unusual litter picking devices on the internet and collect
images of devices you like. Paste the pictures on to an A4 sized piece
2. Add notes that explain what you like about each of the devices. You
may wish to explain the features of each device.
3. Draw a rough diagram or diagrams of your design. This will help you
decide on its best features.
4. Select your best design. Draw your design accurately and add colour
5. Add labels and detailed notes, explaining your design.
What materials will it be manufactured from?
How much will it way?
How much will it cost?
What do others think of your design?
To achieve a high grade:
Produce a good range of research and include detailed notes.
Draw a rough design.
Produce an accurate colour rendered drawing of your idea, identifying
all the features of the litter picking device.