NASA and the European Space Agency, are mounting a mission to land men
and women on Mars, in Five Years time.
The journey to Mars and back to Earth, will be very dangerous and take
You are to design a space capsule (vehicle) that will get the astronauts
to and from Mars, safely.
The space capsule should have solar power, to provide electrical power
to the space craft.
There should be room for five people (men and women).
They will need an area for sleeping.
They will need a special exercise area, so that they can keep fit. This
will be important when they reach Mars.
They will need a storage area for all the food they require, their space
suits and other vital equipment, such as a vehicle for driving on the
The space capsule must have a pilot and co-pilot seat, radar, guidance
system, rockets etc…..
The space capsule must be designed so that it can land on the surface of
Mars and take off.
1. Research space craft on the internet and collect images that you
like. Paste the pictures on to an A4 sized piece of paper.
2. Add notes that explain what you like about each of the space craft.
You may wish to explain the features that you like.
3. Now consider your own space craft design. Draw a rough design and add
4. Draw your design accurately and add colour and shade.
5. Add labels that clearly identify all the features of your space
To achieve a high grade:
Produce a good range of research and include detailed notes.
Draw a rough design clearly, add labels.
Produce an accurate colour rendered drawing of your space craft,
identifying all the features and add detailed notes.