You have been approached by a torch manufacturer to design an unusual
torch. Your torch is to be designed with specific people in mind.
Example One - Design a torch for an elderly person. This type of torch
could have a large on/off button or switch so that it can be used
easily. It could have an alarm built in to it so that if the elderly
person fell over or collapsed the alarm could be triggered. This would
alert neighbours so that the elderly person could be helped.
Example Two - Design a torch for a Police Officer. This type of torch
could have a built in ‘stun gun’ as part of the handle. It could have a
radio for communication with the Police Station.
Example Three - Design a torch for an Eskimo. The torch could have a
built in heater for keeping hands and fingers warm. It could have a
1. Research unusual torches on the internet and collect images of that
you like. Paste the pictures on to an A4 sized piece of paper.
2. Add notes that explain what you like about each of the torches. You
may wish to explain the features that you like .
3. Now consider your own torch design. Draw two rough designs and add
notes that explain both of your ideas.
4. Select your best design. Draw your design accurately and add colour
5. Add labels that clearly identify all the features of your torch.
To achieve a high grade:
Produce a good range of research and include detailed notes.
Draw two rough designs clearly and explain each design.
Produce an accurate colour rendered drawing of your final idea,
identifying all the features of your final torch.