CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
USING A MALLET AND CHISEL -2
V. Ryan © 2003 - 2021
|HOW TO USE A CHISEL
SAFE and CORRECT USE
|The use of a mallet and chisel, as seen below, is being carried out safely.|
|1. The pupil is appropriately dressed for the workshop and is wearing an apron.
2. For extra safety, he is wearing goggles (although normally this is not necessary for this process).
3. The wood being chiselled, is clamped to the bench with a G-cramp. It cannot slip.
4. The chisel has been sharpened and checked by the teacher. Therefore, it is unlikely to slip, if used according to instructions.
5. He is taking care to hold the chisel in a vertical position and both his hands are behind the cutting edge.
6. He strikes the chisel firmly, directing the blow downwards (vertically).
1. Describe how you should use a chisel and mallet safely.