CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
V. Ryan © 2011
|PDF FILE - CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE WORKSHEET|
ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR
|Many products are designed with adjustment in mind. For example, the computer / office chair seen below. The chair can be adjusted in terms of its height, so that it can be used by children and adults.|
|ADVANTAGES OF THE ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR|
1. The chair can be used by a wide range of users.
2. It can be sold to wider range of users, compared to a chair with a fixed height. The target market is larger and consequently potential sales are greater.
3. Adjusting the height of the chair to suit the user, makes it more comfortable to sit on, especially for long periods of time. It is ergonomically designed.
4. The height and swivel adjustment means that it conforms to Health and Safety guidance. These features help reduce possible repetitive strain injury to the user. For example, a bad back or neck strain is less likely when sat in an adjustable office chair..
5. A comfortable chair encourages the user to work harder. In business, this is good for productivity.
|ADJUSTABLE CAR WING MIRROR|
A device as simple as a car wing mirror, can be adjusted in a number of
directions (up, down, left and right). This means it has many settings and
can be adjusted to suit numerous users of varying heights. (see diagram
An adjustable mirror is an essential safety feature, preventing accidents everyday. Although a small, cheap part of any car, the adjustable wing mirror plays a major role, helping the driver control his/her car. It offers vision to the rear and sides of the car.
The trolley seen below, is extremely useful when moving heavy items, over
1. It’s handle is adjustable, allowing people of different heights to use it comfortably, preventing injury.
2. It acts as an adjustable lever, helping the user to lift increasingly heavier weights.
3. The trolley can be reduced in height and the shelf folded away, allowing storage in a confined space such as a cupboard.
|Hi-TECH ELECTRONIC DEVICES - THE iPOD TOUCH|
Electronic gadgets such as the ‘iPod touch’, have a range of adjustments,
which can be set according to the users needs. These include volume, + and
- zoom, contrast, brightness and many more.
These adjustable features are accessed through a touch screen. This means that the iPod can be operated by almost all age groups.
The iPod touch is an excellent example of advanced technology making a product easier to use. Electronic devices previously needed a number of buttons and dials, in order to make adjustments.
Advanced technology has made making adjustments and altering settings, very simple.
Building ‘adjustability’ into a product has the following general
1. A wider range of people (potential customers) can use the product. (Office chair, iPod touch, trolley, wing mirror).
2. Products that can be adjusted, are usually more comfortable to use. They are designed with ergonomics in mind.(Office chair).
3. Adjustable products are sometimes safer to use. (Trolley)
4. Adjustable products are often more efficient, increasing workforce efficiency. (Office chair, touch screen computers).
5. Some adjustable products have been developed, to ensure that they meet Health and Safety guidelines. (Office chair).
6. Adjustable products can be more complex than ‘fixed’ alternatives.
7. Electronic products with adjustable features, are now easy to use because of advances in technology and materials. (iPod touch).
|CLICK HERE FOR PRODUCT DESIGN INDEX PAGE|