CLICK HERE FOR INDEX PAGE
STANDARD COMPONENTS AND PRODUCT MANUFACTURE (SUMMARY)
V. Ryan © 2011
|PDF FILE - CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE WORKSHEET|
A standard component is usually an individual part or component,
manufactured in thousands or millions, to the same specification (such as
size, weight, material etc...). A good example is a steel bolt. Bolts are
available in a vast range of standard sizes. However, each size is
manufactured to an internationally accepted standard.
For example, a M20 bolt. A typical steel M20 bolt will be a specific length, diameter, quality of steel, pitch of thread etc...
|ADVANTAGES OF USING STANDARD COMPONENTS|
1. Standard components can be manufactured in vast quantities, keeping
2. Standard components are supplied in standard sizes. Consequently, they are easy to order. Ordering of standard components is relatively straightforward, sizes / dimensions etc... are available in table or index form.
3. Buying directly from suppliers, over the counter, at hardware stores such as B & Q, is easier as standard components such as screws, bolts, nails and fixings are often displayed in order. This makes it easier to find the component the customer requires.
4. Safety / quality testing is easier when dealing with standard components. Often a number of standard components, from a batch will be tested. Faulty components can be withdrawn from sale, if detected.
5. Manufacturers of ‘complex’ products (computers TVs, etc....), usually assemble their products from standard components. This allows them to concentrate on the development of their specialised product, rather than having to design each individual component. This speeds up product development.
6. Setting up a mass production line is easier if standard components are used. It is easier to train staff / the workforce, as they are dealing with the same standard components, when assembling products.
|STANDARD COMPONENTS AND MOBILE PHONE MANUFACTURERS|
In industry, very little could be manufactured by mass production, without
a supply of standard components. The fact that standard components are
available, means that many of the products we buy and use today, can be
manufactured in their thousands / millions, ready for consumers.
Take for example, the mobile phone. Although there are hundreds and even thousands of components inside a typical mobile phone, many are commonly used in all mobile phones and many other electronic products. Electronic components, such as resistors, transistors, integrated circuits (ICs) and many more, are supplied by electronics manufacturers, in their millions, to the mobile phone manufacturers. Each mobile phone manufacturer has a model, with a range of features and functions. These companies assemble standard components to form their own unique product. Although mobile phone companies will also have their own specialised components, these will be manufactured to a standard size / voltage / tolerance etc... so that they can be used across a range of their phones.
|1. Read the passage about Standard Components. Add the missing words in their correct places.|
|INDIVIDUAL - THOUSANDS - SPECIFICATION - INTERNATIONALLY|
|A standard component is usually an_____________ part or component, manufactured in ___________ or millions, to the same ________________ (such as size, weight, material etc...). A good example is a steel bolt. Bolts are available in a vast range of standard sizes. However, each size will be manufactured to an _________________ accepted standard.|
2.Describe the advantages to a manufacturer of using standard components
during the manufacture of a product.
You should name and describe a product in your answer.
|2. Read the passage about Standard Components. Add the missing words in their correct places.|
|Car manufacturers, ____________ thousands of cars every week, with most cars composed of _____________ components. Car manufacturers, such as Volvo, _____ and Nissen use many of the same components. This includes, ____________ wipers, bulbs, _______ pads, electronic systems and even satellite______________ systems. All are standard components. The use of standard components allows manufacturers to keep the _____ of individual cars, as low as possible. It also ensures that ________ is maintained.|
|ASSEMBLE - STANDARD - FORD - WINDSCREEN - BRAKE - NAVIGATION - COST - QUALITY|
|CLICK HERE FOR PRODUCT DESIGN INDEX PAGE|